| Iran War protests |
War is a word that's thrown around a lot all the time obviously there are wars but the threat of them as well like just the other day ww3 was brought up again. When we see a headline about war we jump to conclusions and some of us decide to do more research.. When you do research you look at the news for where, who, and why that specific conflict is happening and you most likely start to follow it for a little bit. In the U.S. it's always if we are involved or not and which side were taking.
After looking through Antiwar.com, I noticed It actually has a lot of information that's useful if you want to know more about these wars that you would never ever see on mainstream news platforms easily. Antiwar.com especially is very direct about opposing U.S. involvement and even tallies different statistics so one can see the truth about what's going on.
It also shows how other countries are involved for example Israel and Ukraine. I also want to point out how the website looks because I find that important, it looks like it was made by like 10 people 15 years ago which shows how little coverage the truth gets.
I think one reason strong antiwar voices can be harder to find in mainstream news isbecause major news organizations mostly rely on government sources, military sources, and other established sources when covering wars. These options have direct access to the information, but relying on them to much can also mean that the government's perspective receives a lot of attention which can create some bias especially when it's a U.S. involved war.
The American Conservative was also interesting to look at because it shows that being antiwar isn't necessarily something that belongs to one political side. Usually when I hear the word conservative I think of a certain set of political beliefs, but the website has writers who are very critical of U.S. involvement in foreign conflicts. A lot of what I saw questioned why the U.S. needs to continue getting involved in conflicts overseas and whether that involvement is actually benefiting Americans.
I think this really shows why these antiwar opinions can be so hard to find in the first place. It's not like these opinions don't exist because clearly there are plenty of people writing and talking about them. The problem is you almost have to go out of your way to find them. If you're just watching the news or scrolling through headlines, you're probably not going to see the same kind of stuff that you would on these websites.
| WW1 protests in front of the Whitehouse |
I think that's also why the First Amendment is so important when it comes to war. People need to be able to question what the government is doing, especially when it involves something as serious as sending people to war. We already saw what happened during WWI when people speaking against the war were punished and even put in jail. Obviously things are different today, but the whole point is that people should still be able to speak against what the government is doing without being silenced. Even if you don't agree with everything on these websites, they at least give you another perspective and let you decide for yourself what you actually believe.
No comments:
Post a Comment